Monday, September 3, 2012

Issue No. 220: 50 Years of the Art of Soup

I think I read that the Warhol Foundation in partnership with Campbell's Soup made something like 1.2 million of the four commemorative cans pictured below for sale at Target at $.75 per can starting yesterday (2 September). The LA Times and several bloggers predicted that all stores would sell out within "15 minutes". They didn't. But, last night I did notice that about a dozen Ebay sellers had

already listed sets of the four tomato soup cans with starting bids of as much as $24. I decided that purchasing a surplus of soup cans and squirreling them away might prove lucrative on a rainy day in a decade or so. If not, they'll make nice gifts.

This morning, I schlepped over to Target, filled my cart with sixteen Warhol cans and, upon checking out, discovered that Link would not cover my purchase. What does this mean? On a personal level, I guess that when you buy this special soup, you are getting the actual soup for free. What I paid for are the fancy labels; the paper. In terms of the big picture, why won't the government make a little donation of $675,000 to the Warhol Foundation (a non-for-profit that promotes the visual arts)? I'll investigate this more later.

Erik R. Peterson 

No comments:

Post a Comment