Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Issue No. 6: Rejecting a Christian




Dear Jeannie,

I have been avoiding this, but I can go no longer without saying something. I am thrilled that your new found interest in God and religion seems to be helping you. In this, you have my support. However, I feel the same way I was raised. That faith is a highly personal thing which should not be randomly tossed around in the secular world as if it were an old shoe. I find evangelism of all sorts, narrow-minded, annoying and often very offensive. Not in the theosophical aspect,  but in the fact that you unwittingly flaunt an unsophisticated, way too fundamental view of Christianity which is deliberately too accepting, uncritical and lacks - if not completely ignores - historical context. A fifth grade understanding of the bible is fine as long as you are in fifth grade. Please don't think I am raining on your parade or that I am a stranger to religion. I have done copious amounts of reading over the course of my life about all faiths from Catholicism to Hinduism to being Baha'i and have concluded that in light of the information science and medicine offers, none of them have THE answers. Personally, I do not believe that Jesus Christ is the messiah. I have a strong belief in ancient paganologies, Darwinism, hard science and evolution. I believe in many of the Occultisms. I adore abortion and feel that women who have had them should wear a medal with pride. I'm not even going to get into how Christianity generally persecutes us queers. But, that is definitely another component to my contempt for most churches. I also feel that many non-denominational Christian institutions routinely engage in unconstitutional, if not illegal activities such as allowing themselves to be used as platforms for the dissemination of right wing political views as well as campaigning while continuing to have a tax-exempt status. This must be dealt with. I could go on and on, but I do not have all day. In short, I am asking you to refrain from sending me Christian propoganda of any sort. But, please do keep in touch. Feel free to write letters or notes about your personal walk with faith and how it changes your life. Just spare me the "inspirational" emails. 

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Love,

~Erik

3 comments: